Original Problem Posted by: zack on 11/25/2002
I have a very similar problem - I recently added a Linksys ethernet card to my old computer - I had been using a 3COM Nic adapter for internet access through a cable modem. Ever since I added the card I have lost access to the internet on this computer - other computers connected to the Router are fine. The network seems to be working fine - I can hop on to any of the computers connected via the router and browse all of them. I was initially able to ping websites but now thats gone too. I called Linksys... well thats another story...
I have a compaq 5441 with Windows 98 and internet explorer 6
Following is what I have already done to attempt to restore internet connectivity;
1. Uninstalled the 3COM adapter completely
2. Reinstalled the Linksys ethernet PCI card
3. verified that the card is working and does not have any conflicts
4. Updated the Winsock32.dll via SFC.
5. Ran the Internet Connection wizard.
6. Verified the IP addresses and gateway assigned by the router work
on the other computers
Can anyone help ?